As any savvy Feather Girl knows by now, your tax return is due by April 15. Besides the legal obligation to file your taxes every year, we all know the real incentive is the potential refund you could receive.
If you’re anything like me though, when the check comes, your mind goes blank over what to do with it. Whether it’s a refund of $5 or $500, we have created a list of the 14 best ways to spend your 2014 tax return.
1. Get a Mani/Pedi: The most unnecessary of the beauty service splurges, but for some reason the most fun. Take this opportunity to go for the Full Monty and let the technician massage your calves or add on the extra design on that ring finger.
2. Refresh Your Clothing/Accessories: We all have that one item we’ve been wanting for over six months. Whether it’s a dress, shoes or an accessory, now is the time to finally treat yo’self.
3. Fix Your Car: If you car has been making a weird sound for a while, we fully suggest that you use your refund to finally get it looked at. We don’t want you breaking down on the side of the road.
4. Detail Your Wheels: Even though you may spend a few hours a day in the car, it’s easy to overlook just how badly it needs to be cleaned. Head to a car wash and ask for the works. A full wash and interior car detailing will help you remember how much you loved those wheels when you got they were brand new.
5. Spruce Up a Room: It can be hard to justify purchases to decorate your place with when an accent pillow can run you $20. Take this windfall to the Home section and pick up some fun stuff to give your place more personality.
6. Care for Your Skin: Often overlooked for the pretty colors of blush and lipstick—and pricy to boot—skin care products don’t get enough love. Use your refund to pick up some quality skin care items that will really do your face glow.
7. Spend A Weekend Away: Even if you don’t go too far, your refund is the perfect opportunity to take a fun, quick trip for some R&R.
8. Prepay A Gym Membership: Maybe you fell down on your New Year’s resolution to work out three times a week a long time ago, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still take control of your health. Use your refund to join a gym and try again!
9. Have Dinner Out: This is a great chance to check out that super fancy restaurant that you’ve heard so many rave reviews about. Grab a friend or loved one who recently got a nice refund too and enjoy.
10. Fix Your Phone Screen: Are you one of the too-many people running around with a cracked phone screens? Please go and get that fixed. (Your fingertips are begging you.)
11. Donate: There’s always someone less fortunate who could benefit from your generosity. Consider donating a portion or all of your refund to a cause that means something to you.
12. Do Something Nice: We all have people in our lives that have gone above and beyond for us. You can show them your appreciation with a gift card to their favorite store or coffee shop, taking them out for a fun activity or helping to pay for something they need.
13. Take a Class: If you have an interest that you haven’t had the time or money to explore, use your refund to get the supplies or take a 101 class on it.
14. Save It: None of the above sound quite right? We bet your savings account has a good idea for your refund.