Despite all the holiday festivities, some of us dread this time of the year: the cold, snowy weather, the holiday weight from not being able to resist all the delicious sugar cookies and, of course, the nasty flu viruses we all manage to catch no matter how much we try to avoid getting sick.
Want to ward off illnesses this winter? Get ready because here are five of the best immunity foods you can eat to help fight off those nasty colds.
1. Yogurt: Yogurt contains probiotics, which has good bacteria to help fight off infections. It will increase your white blood cell count and fight off germs.
2. Garlic: Yes, you heard right. Garlic. It helps fight off a cold by the cloves. There is a special compound in garlic called allicin which helps fight off all types of infections. It also will enhance your immune system and help with overall health everyday.
3. Tea: Some people love it or hate it but tea is a great drink to help cure a cold. Tea has a special antioxidant called catechins, which has flu-fighting powers. Just like garlic, drinking tea can improve your overall immune system and even improve your metabolism.
4. Red Bell Peppers: Red Bell peppers actually contain more Vitamin C than citrus fruits. Vitamin C is very important to consume when trying to get over a cold and boost your immune system. The FDA recommends that people consume at least 90 milligrams of Vitamin C each day and half a cup of red bell peppers contains 142 milligrams.
5. Fennel: Fennel is another great expectorant to consume either raw or roasted. It really helps when trying to clear chest congestion and soothe a cough. Consuming fennel increases your white blood cell count and destroys harmful bacteria and viruses in the body.
Not only should you consume these foods, but you should also make sure to follow proper cold and flu hygiene to help prevent these colds from coming on.