It’s so tempting to pop a few painkillers whenever a cold or ache kicks in, but taking a lot of pills definitely comes with risks. Research has shown that even over-the-counter drugs carry long-term risks, like liver or kidney damage, stomach bleeding and headaches. Plus, as Dr. Douglas Bremner of Emory University explained to CNN, all drugs “will, by definition, have some toxic, collateral side effects,” even when prescribed by a doctor.
Luckily, there are a number of Holistic methods that can help a lot, too! Check out these five all-natural ways to heal your body.
1. Reiki, one of the oldest healing practices in the world, is a Japanese method that uses energy and light to help balance the body, mind and soul. It can help to relieve tension and stress, which in turn can help people who suffer from conditions like migraines, menopause, insomnia, arthritis and other illnesses.
2. Sitting with needles in your body may intimidate some, but acupuncture,a Chinese method that stimulates specific points in the body, can have many health benefits. Research conducted by the World Health Organization showed it can effectively treat conditions ranging from depression to headaches to rheumatoid arthritis. It can even help to induce labor, which is great news for all overdue pregnancies.
3. Herbal remedies uses natural resources like roots, flowers and barks to soothe a variety of different health problems, and while not always as effective as strong medications, these treatments have far fewer side effects, much less any at all.
Homeopathy dilutes such herbs and treats people with the theory that ‘like cures like,’ or in other words, that symptoms should be treated with substances that can induce those same symptoms in a healthy individual. Research has shown little support for these treatments, but some people do attest to their benefits, so careful use can’t hurt.
4. There are many different techniques of movement therapy and bodywork, including dance therapy, Yoga, T’ai Chi, the Alexander and Feldenkrais methods and Qi Gong, which help to realign the body and facilitate healing. They can help a range of conditions which result in physical and even mental pain or decline, resonating throughout the body and soul.
5. Hypnosis isn’t just a party trick, but an actual form of therapy that uses a state of hyperfocus and unconsciousness to access the mind. It can help overcome addiction, relieve stress, improve sleep and even manage pain.
The next time you’re facing a health problem, step away from the pill cabinet and try these holistic healing methods instead! They might make you feel even better than three doses of Advil ever could.