I’m a shy, quiet, introverted person, or I was until I started doing yoga. It can be tough for an introvert to get by in an extroverted world, especially when confidence is key. From body confidence to public speaking, let me share with you five ways yoga can help you to become more confident.
1. Yoga Postures: While this may seem like it should be obvious, to many people it’s not. Yes, performing the yoga postures is a way for you to keep your body healthy physically, it’s also a way for you to become more comfortable with your body. The postures themselves teach you to love and appreciate the way you look naturally.
2. Public Classes: Taking a public class can do wonders for you public speaking abilities. Many studios will have you turn and speak to the person next to you at the beginning of class, giving you a safe space to talk to new people.
3. Pranayama (breathing): Much of yoga is about learning different breathing techniques to help you deal with stress. For example; a letting go breath, inhaling for a count of five through the nose, hold the breath for five and then release in one large gust. This will help calm your nerves thus boosting your confidence.
4. Meditation: Yoga classes often start with meditation to calm your mind. Meditation is a useful tool to overcome monkey mind, negative thoughts and self-doubt, bring you to a place of peace with yourself.
5. Mantras: Mantras are positive phrases or affirmations chanted repeatedly to one’s self. Many yogis use mantras during meditation and in daily life to help with positivity. A mantra like “I am confident” can really help you become confident.