Apple cider vinegar has been appearing more and more in the average household. You can spot the product in kitchen pantries and even bathrooms, but what is it exactly?
Apple cider vinegar (ACV, for short) is made by crushing and squeezing the juice out of apples, and putting that through two fermentation processes. ACV has a very sour/acidic taste and a strange smell, but has amazing health and beauty benefits.
1. You can use ACV as a weight loss aid. If you drink a glass or bottle of water with two to three teaspoons of ACV, the acetic acid can suppress your appetite. It is known to also increase your metabolism and reduce your body’s water retention.
2. If you experience problems with dandruff, ACV can help with that, too. The acidity found in ACV can alter the pH of your scalp, which makes it harder for yeast to grow. You can mix some ACV and water in a regular bottle and rinse your hair out after a wash, or you can spritz your hair with a spray bottle. The spray bottle method also helps when you feel like your hair needs a rinse while it is in a protective braid style.
3. ACV can also balance the pH of your skin. Using the product as a natural toner can reduce acne and red spots while exfoliating your skin. Using ACV by itself may be too harsh on your skin, so be sure to dilute it with water.
4. Experiencing sore throat or a stuffy nose? ACV can fix that! The potassium found in ACV can help get rid of mucus. Drinking a glass of water with a teaspoon of ACV can aid in sinus drainage. If you have a sore throat, you can gargle warm water with ACV mixed in every hour. BONUS: Gargling with ACV can also help eliminate bad breath and can help whiten your teeth.
5. Some of us are bound to get a sunburn at some point, and ACV can also help with that. You can fill a spray bottle with a mixture of water and ACV and spray yourself, or you can draw a cool bath with it diluted in.
6. The potassium and enzymes found in ACV can provide a natural energy boost. If you prefer a more natural fix rather than coffee or energy drinks, ACV is the perfect pick me up. Just mix a few teaspoons into a glass of water or add it to a smoothie.
7. Apple cider vinegar has so many benefits and can easily be incorporated into your daily routine. Next time you make a trip to the grocery store, maybe you should pick up a bottle of your own.