Maybe you just haven’t unpacked your suitcase yet from your summer trip. Or maybe your entire fall wardrobe is a collection of really old sweaters. Either way, fall is a great time to take stock of what you own and start cleaning out what you no longer want or need. If you’ve been stuffing everything you don’t want to deal with into your closet or storage bin, it’s time to get out your sorting and organization chops and tackle the fallout. And don’t worry; fall cleaning doesn’t need to be scary.
Here are a few tips to make it less daunting:
• Ask a friend to help you. If you have trouble saying no to things hiding in your closet, ask one of your friends hold you accountable and help you sort. She can save you from becoming a twenty-something pack rat.
• Set milestones. You don’t need to complete fall cleaning in one day, especially if your schedule is super-busy. Make a list of milestones to complete the task and just reach one a day. For example, you can sort through your sweaters one day and organize your papers the next. Pack your summer clothes and get your closet ready for a new fall wardrobe!
• Make it a jam session. Play that funky music while you work. Whenever you toss something into the Donate box, perform a triple twirl. You can also make it a workout by doing squats and jumping jacks.
• Treat yourself afterward. Get that pumpkin spice latte on the way to the thrift store to drop off the sweaters you decided not to keep. Or buy yourself one to two new pieces to ready your wardrobe for this fall season. And never underestimate the power of a bubble bath and chocolates.
• Take breaks. If you’d rather get the fall cleaning done in one day, prepare a to-do list and take breaks between projects. Not Netflix breaks, though: just a few moments to sit down and relax. You’ll feel refreshed to tackle the next item on your list.
Imagine a closet where you can find everything you’re looking for. Or a pantry that has all of the ingredients you need to be a pumpkin pie. Getting organized can relieve stress. Happy fall cleaning!