Moving to a new city? Wonderful! Exciting! Adventurous! And… daunting, once you remember you have to pack all your belongings. Where do you even start? Is there an end to it? We feel your excitement, and your pain. Don’t fret—let us guide you step by step through the stages everyone’s been through while on the verge of the old and the new life.
1. Yippie! You just found out the news.
The first feeling is usually pure excitement. You’re googling your new place like crazy. Oh, a coffee shop you must stop by! A hip gallery! A place with what look to be amazing crepes!
2. You’re starting to think about the logistical steps of the move.
You never knew there were SO MANY things to do! Um, how about I stay at home? Exchanging countless emails with landlords, university administration, people at the new job, people who you once met that live in the city…
3. The clock is ticking. It seems more and more real as time goes by!
You’re starting to lose nerves. How are you going to stay in touch with your friends? What about your family? I don’t even know what happens when there’s a SO involved. Good luck, there!
4. You want people to reassure you that everything will be as it is now, but you don’t really want to reveal your thoughts to them.
After all, you’re moving, you’re the brave one, there’s nothing to be afraid of! It’s just that you’re scared to death. (Spoiler alert: it would be weird not to be.) (gif 4)
5. Time to pack! Okay, let’s do this! Ugh.
There’s so much, and there are airlines’ baggage constraints. This has to go with you. This has to go out. In again. Out again. Again.
6. Finally arriving to your place, your home to be. Yes!
7. Ugh, now you have to unpack.